Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Well, that was exciting.

Just as I was about to set out on preparing my fanciful dessert, I noticed that a hard crash earlier has left the OS on my laptop pretty badly fucked up. What's an information professional/culinary adventurer to do? Start an OS reinstall & get back to making dessert it turns out.

Laptop seems functional again, sure I'll notice weirdnesses soon, dessert seems interesting, have my doubts that it'll unmold successfully, should taste good anyway.

Here's how I made Yellow Generals' Scandal- prepared a vanilla custard similar to that used to fill cream puffs (eggs, sugar, flour, milk, vanilla, butter), set that aside to cool. Put 1/2 cup sake & 1/2 cup water & about a 1/4 cup of sugar in a saucepan & brought it to a boil, removed from heat. Sprayed chrysanthemum bundt pan with Pam, started lightly dipping ladyfingers in sake syrup, then lining pan with them. Once pan was lined, folded about a cup of sour cream into the custard, poured some into pan, made a layer of mandarin orange slices, put in a few more ladyfingers, more custard, layer of lychees, more custard, layer of tinned mango, covered the bottom with more dipped ladyfingers, poured remaining syrup over them, covered in foil, put in the refrigerator. Only rough spot was when I couldn't find my can opener, nice when houseguests do the dishes, sometimes it's hard to figure out where they've put stuff.

Feeling pretty wound up, alive with love, cheerful. Really, if I've ever told you I love you, I really fucking meant it, still do. Let me know if you need anything.

No comments: